Killer Gender Reveal:
23 Feb 2021. “Gender-reveal device explosion kills father-to-be.” BBC World News.
Other Parenting Cultures:
Oakes, Kelly. 22 Feb 2021. “Is the Western way of raising kids weird?” BBC Future.
Hunt Gather Parent- Book
Pinsker, Joe. 2 March 2021. “There’s a Better Way to Parent: Less Yelling, Less Praise.” The Atlantic.
Garlick, Hattie. 27 Feb 2021. “What the Planet’s Traditional Cultures can Teach You About Being A Better Parent.” The Telegraph.
Other Recommended Reading
- Pamela Druckerman’s
- Bringing up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting and
- French Children Don’t Throw Food
- Sara Zaske’s Achtung Baby : An American Mom on the German Art of Raising Self-Reliant Children
- Mei-Ling Hopgood’s How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm: And Other Adventures in Parenting (from Argentina to Tanzania and Everywhere in Between)
- Robert and Sarah LeVine’s Do Parents Matter?: Why Japanese Babies Sleep Soundly, Mexican Siblings Don’t Fight, and American Families Should Just Relax
- And Meredith Small’s
- Our Babies Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
- Kids: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Raise Young Children
- Tom Hodgkinson’s The Idle Parent: Why Laid-Back Parents Raise Happier and Healthier Kids
- David F. Lancy
- Raising Children: Surprising Insights from Other Cultures
- The Anthropology of Childhood: Cherubs, Chattel, Changelings
- Alma Gottlieb and Judy Deloache
- A World of Babies: Imagined Childcare Guides for Eight Societies
- Alma also wrote an baby-centered ethnography of the Beng people of West Africa called, The Afterlife is Where We Come From
Problem of American Childcare
The Weeds. 19 Feb 2021. “The Problem of Childcare.” Vox.
- Roache, Madelaine. 24 July 2019. “Is Capitalism or Communism Better for Women? How the Kitchen Debate Gave a New Meaning to the Cold War ‘Home Front’.” Time Magazine.
- Christian, Michel. 22 June 2020. “The Gender of Communism.” Digital Encyclopedia of European History.
- Holt, Marilyn Irvin. 2014. “Cold War Kids: Politics and Childhood in Postwar America, 1945-1960.” University Press of Kansas.
Contaminated Baby Food:
Stuff they don’t want you to Know. 24 Feb 2021. “Contaminants in Baby Food.” iHeartRadio.
Rapely, Gill And Tracy Murkett. 2010. Baby Led Weaning: The Essential Guide to Introducing Solid Foods-and Helping Your Baby to Grow Up a Happy and Confident Eater. The Experiment.
Brown, Amy and Michelle Lee. Jan 2011. “A descriptive study investigating the use and nature of baby-led weaning in a UK sample of mothers.” Maternal Child Nutrition, 7(1):34-47.
Cameron, Sonya, et al. Nov 2012. “How Feasible Is Baby-Led Weaning as an Approach to Infant Feeding? A Review of the Evidence.” Nutrients, 4(11): 1575–1609.
D’Auria, Enza, et al. May 2018. “Baby-led weaning: what a systematic review of the literature adds on.” Italian Journal Pediatrics, 3;44(1):49.
[The one with misleading title quoted.] A Brown. Aug 2018. “No difference in self-reported frequency of choking between infants introduced to solid foods using a baby-led weaning or traditional spoon-feeding approach.” Journal Human Nutrition Diet, 31(4):496-504.
Rowan, H, M Lee, and A Brown. Feb 2019. “Differences in dietary composition between infants introduced to complementary foods using Baby-led weaning and traditional spoon feeding.” Journal Human Nutrition Diet, 32(1):11-20.
Hughes, Bettany. 2020. “Top Ten Treasures: Egyptian Mummies.” BBC5. Youtube.
Scott and Laci Peterson:
Sarian, Bailey. 15 Feb 2021. “But Did He Do It? The Mysterious Story Of Laci & Scott Peterson | Mystery & Makeup – Bailey Sarian.” Youtube.
Forgotten Baby Syndrome:
Grande, Scott. 2 March 2021. “Cooper Harris Case Analysis | What is Forgotten Baby Syndrome?” Youtube.
Book and Baby Historian, frolicking through archives. Panics when low on chocolate rations. Will embarrass self in any social situation to point out or pet other people's dogs. Habitual stumbler, peppermint tea drinker. People watcher, pizza slayer.